[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Support LVM on a shared LU

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Wed May 21 08:36:11 UTC 2014

So the way I see it, the value here is a generic driver that can work with
any storage.  The downsides:
1. The admin has to manually provision a very big volume and attach it to
the Nova and Cinder hosts.  Every time a host is rebooted, or introduced,
the admin must do manual work. This is one of the things OpenStack should
be trying to avoid. This can't be automated without a driver, which is what
you're trying to avoid.
2. You lose on performance to volumes by adding another layer in the stack.
3. You lose performance with snapshots - appliances will almost certainly
have more efficient snapshots than LVM over network (consider that for
every COW operation, you are reading synchronously over the network).

(Basically, you turned your fully-capable storage appliance into a dumb
JBOD)

In short, I think the cons outweigh the pros.  Are there people deploying
OpenStack who would deploy their storage like this?

Thanks,
Avishay