[openstack-dev] [Heat] [Docker] Resource

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue May 20 21:12:27 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Andrew Plunk's message of 2014-05-20 13:49:58 -0700:
> No Problem.
>
> As the Docker resource in Heat currently works, it will require Docker running on a customer's vm to listen over a network socket. With software config you could allow Docker to listen on the instance's local unix socket, and communicate with Docker via Heat's in instance software config agents.

This would effectively make Docker another case of "syntactic sugar",
much like OS::SoftwareConfig::Chef would be.

Short term I think this will get Docker onto Heat users' instances
quicker.

However I do think that the limitations of this approach are pretty
large, such as how to model the network in such a way where we could
attach a floating IP to a container running in a VM. There's a lot of
extra plumbing that gets shrugged off to user-managed hosts that seems
like a generic nesting interface that would be useful for things like
TripleO too where we want to nest a VM inside the deployment cloud.

Anyway, the local socket is the way to go. The less we teach Heat's
engine to reach out to non-OpenStack API's, the more we can keep it
isolated from hostile entities.