[openstack-dev] [Ironic] - Integration with neutron using external attachment point

Igor Cardoso igordcard at gmail.com
Tue May 20 10:13:01 UTC 2014

Hello Kevin.
There is a similar Neutron blueprint [1], originally meant for Havana but
now aiming for Juno.
I would be happy to join efforts with you regarding our blueprints.
See also: [2].

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/ml2-external-port
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/campus-network

On 19 May 2014 23:52, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on an extension for neutron to allow external attachment
> point information to be stored and used by backend plugins/drivers to place
> switch ports into neutron networks[1].
>
> One of the primary use cases is to integrate ironic with neutron. The
> basic workflow is that ironic will create the external attachment points
> when servers are initially installed. This step could either be automated
> (extract switch-ID and port number of LLDP message) or it could be manually
> performed by an admin who notes the ports a server is plugged into.
>
> Then when an instance is chosen for assignment and the neutron port needs
> to be created, the creation request would reference the corresponding
> attachment ID and neutron would configure the physical switch port to place
> the port on the appropriate neutron network.
>
> If this workflow won't work for Ironic, please respond to this email or
> leave comments on the blueprint review.
>
> 1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/87825/
>

> Thanks
> --