[openstack-dev] [NFV][QA] Mission statement prosal

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Tue May 20 05:43:48 UTC 2014

Hi, Nick,
For “have a test case which can be verified using a an OpenSource implementation ….. ensure that tests can be done without any special hardware or proprietary software”, I totally agree the requirement for without proprietary software, however, I’m not sure about  your exact meaing of “special hardware”.

I had a quick chat with Daniel in the summit on this also. Several NFV tasks, like large page, guest NUMA, SR-IOV, require hardware support. Those features are widely supported in volume servers already for a long time, but can’t be achieved, or can’t be achieved well,  in VM yet, thus can’t be verified in current  gate. IMHO, even VM can support/emulate such feature, it’s not so good to use VM to verify them.

How about have a standard 3rd party CI test for hardware based feature testing and make it an extensible framework? I think there are requirement at least from both ironic and NFV?

Our team have 3rd party CI test  for PCI pass-through and OAT trusted computing, which can’t be achieved through CI now.  These tests are based on real hardware environment instead of VM. We didn’t publish result yet because of some IT logistic support.

Thanks
--jyh