[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Consistency between models and migrations

Collins, Sean Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com
Tue May 20 04:33:46 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at two reviews that Ann Kamyshnikova has proposed

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/82073/

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/80518/

I think the changes are fundamentally a Good Thing™  - they appear to reduce the differences between the database models and their corresponding migrations – as well as fixing differences in the generated DDL between Postgres and MySQL.

The only thing I'm concerned about, is how to prevent these inconsistencies from sneaking into the codebase in the future. The one review that fixes ForeignKey constraints that are missing a name argument which ends up failing to create indexes in Postgres – I can see myself repeating that mistake, it's very subtle.

Should we have some sort of HACKING for database models and migrations? Are these problems subtle enough that they warrant changes to SQLAlchemy/Alembic?

--
Sean M. Collins