[openstack-dev] [Neutron][NFV] NFV BoF at design summit

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon May 19 18:44:59 UTC 2014

I think the Service VM discussion resolved itself in a way that reduces the
problem to a form of NFV - there are standing issues using VMs for
services, orchestration is probably not a responsibility that lies in
Neutron, and as such the importance is in identifying the problems with the
plumbing features of Neutron that cause implementation difficulties.  The
end result will be that VMs implementing tenant services and implementing
NFV should be much the same, with the addition of offering a multitenant
interface to Openstack users on the tenant service VM case.

Geoff Arnold is dealing with the collating of information from people that
have made the attempt to implement service VMs.  The problem areas should
fall out of his effort.  I also suspect that the key points of NFV that
cause problems (for instance, dealing with VLANs and trunking) will
actually appear quite high up the service VM list as well.
--
Ian.