[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Moving to a formal design process

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Sun May 18 22:03:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As with several other projects, and as discussed at the summit, Ironic is
moving to a formal / specs-based design process. The reasons for this have
been well summarized in previous email threads in other projects [*], but
in short, it's because, until now, nearly all our blueprints lacked a
design specification which could be compared to the proposed code,
resulting in the code-review also being a design-review. This week, I will
be resetting the "Definition" status of all blueprints to "New", and
require everything to go through a specs review process -- yes, even the
ones that were previously approved.

I've proposed the creation of the openstack/ironic-specs repo here:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/94113/

And put up an initial version on github to start the process:
  https://github.com/devananda/ironic-specs
  https://github.com/devananda/ironic-specs/blob/master/specs/template.rst

I've begun sketching out specs proposals for some of the essential-for-juno
items, which can be found in the above repo for now, and will be proposed
for review once the openstack/ironic-specs repository is created.

For what it's worth, I based this on the Nova specs repo, with some
customization geared towards Ironic (eg, I removed "notifications" section
and added some comments regarding hardware). At this point, I'd like
feedback from other core reviewers and folks familiar with the specs
process. Please think about the types of architectural changes you look for
during code reviews and make sure the specs template addresses them, and
that they apply to Ironic.

I will focus on creating and landing the specs for items essential for
graduation first and then prioritize review of additional feature specs
based on the community feedback we received at the Juno Design Summit. I
will send another email soliciting the community members and vendors to
propose specs for the features they are working on once the initial work on
the repo is complete (hopefully before end-of-week).

Regards,
Devananda

[*] eg.:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-April/032753.html