[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Docker] Master node bootstrapping issues

Vladimir Kuklin vkuklin at mirantis.com
Fri May 9 21:04:23 UTC 2014

Hi all

We are still experiencing some issues with master node bootstrapping after
moving to container-based installation.

First of all, these issues are related to our system tests. We have rather
small nodes running as master node - only 1 GB of RAM and 1 virtual CPU. As
we are using strongly lrzipped archive, this seems quite not enough and
leads to timeouts during deployment of the master node.

I have several suggestions:

1) Increase amount of RAM for  master node to at least 8 Gigabytes (or do
some pci virtual memory hotplug during master node bootstrapping) and add
additional vCPU for the master node.
2) Run system tests with non-containerized environment (env variable
PRODUCTION=prod set)
3) Split our system tests in that way not allowing more than 2 master nodes
to bootstrap simulteneously on the single hardware node.
4) do lrzipping as weak as possible during the development phase and lrzip
it strongly only when we do release
5) increase bootstrap timeout for the master node in system tests

Any input would be appreciated.

--
Yours Faithfully,
Vladimir Kuklin,