[openstack-dev] Informal meeting before SR-IOV summit presentation

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Thu May 8 20:30:34 UTC 2014

> It would be nice to have an informal discussion / unconference session
> before the actual summit session on SR-IOV. During the previous IRC
> meeting, we were really close to identifying the different use cases.
> There was a dangling discussion on introducing another level of
> indirection between the vnic_types exposed via the nova boot API and how
> it would be represented internally. It would be ideal to have these 2
> discussions converged before the summit session.

What would be the purpose of doing that before the session? IMHO, a
large part of being able to solve this problem is getting everyone up to
speed on what this means, what the caveats are, and what we're trying to
solve. If we do some of that outside the scope of the larger audience, I
expect we'll get less interaction (or end up covering it again) in the
session.

That said, if there's something I'm missing that needs to be resolved
ahead of time, then that's fine, but I expect the best plan is to just
keep the discussion to the session. Afterwards, additional things can be
discussed in a one-off manner, but getting everyone on the same page is
largely the point of having a session in the first place IMHO.

--Dan