[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Node uuid and Nova Hypervisor ID

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:07:53 UTC 2014

Can you describe the deployment topology you envision -- which
service(s) are on what host(s)? Your question seems based on an
assumption that ironic is able to control the power state of the
nova-compute host _itself_ -- which is not true (*). When using the
nova.virt.ironic driver with Nova, you would run a very small number
of nova-compute services, and scale out the ironic-conductor services
to some degree. Ironic is not a service to manage the power state of
the nova-compute host -- it's a separate service to provision Nova
instances on bare metal servers (which are, generally, kept powered
off unless in use).

(*) unless you're using TripleO, in which case your question seems to
be mixing the undercloud (ironic) with the overcloud (nova-compute +
libvirt/xen/etc), without explicitly explaining how or why you're
doing that.

-D