[openstack-dev] [qa] Checking for return codes in tempest client calls

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed May 7 14:07:29 UTC 2014

On 7 May 2014 14:53, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com> wrote:
> I just looked at a patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90310/3 which was
> given a -1 due to not checking that every call to list_hosts returns 200. I
> realized that we don't have a shared understanding or policy about this.

<snip>

> Thoughts?

While I don't know the tempest code well enough to opine where the
check should be, every call should definitely be checked and failures
reported - I've had a few cases where I've debugged failures (some
tempest, some other tests) where somebody says 'my volume attach isn't
working' and the reason turned out to be because their instance never
came up properly, or snapshot delete failed because the create failed
but wasn't logged. Anything that causes the test to automatically
report the narrowest definition of the fault is definitely a good
thing.

--
Duncan Thomas