[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Confusion about the respective use cases for volume's admin_metadata, metadata and glance_image_metadata

Trump.Zhang zhangleiqiang at gmail.com
Wed May 7 08:31:24 UTC 2014

@Mike

Thanks.

Sorry for misleading you. I mean that I know volume already has a bootable
field.

My question is that once a volume has been created, its
glance_image_metadata will be immutable. However, the volume is constantly
having blocks changed, so some property of its glance_image_metadata will
become overdue.

The example is the "hw_scsi_mode" property of glance_image_metadata, which
will affect the scsi controller used when booting from volume.

> On 06:31 Wed 07 May     , Trump.Zhang wrote:
> > Thanks for your further instructions.
> >
> > I think the situations I mentioned are the reasonable use cases. They are
> > similar to the "bootable" volume use cases, user can create an empty
> volume
> > and install os in it from an image or create bootable volume from
> instance
> > ([1]).
> >
> > If volume metadata is not intended to be interpreted by cinder or nova as
> > meaning anything, maybe Cinder needs to add support for updating some of
> > glance_image_metadata of volume or introduce new property for volume like
> > "bootable" ? I don't think these two methods are good either.
> >
> > [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/add-bootable-option
>
> Volume already has a bootable field:
>

> https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/cinder/db/sqlalchemy/models.py#L122
>
> --