[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Confusion about the respective use cases for volume's admin_metadata, metadata and glance_image_metadata

Tripp, Travis S travis.tripp at hp.com
Wed May 7 04:32:55 UTC 2014

A few days ago I entered a client blueprint on the same topic [1], but maybe it has a server side dependency as well?

When it comes to scheduling, as far as I have been able to tell from looking at Nova code, the scheduler is only getting volume_image_metadata and not the regular cinder_metadata.  So, if you want to add some volume_image_metadata for scheduler filtering or for passing compute driver options through after creating a volume, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this from the python-cinderclient.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-cinderclient/+spec/support-volume-image-metadata