[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Confusion about the respective use cases for volume's admin_metadata, metadata and glance_image_metadata

Trump.Zhang zhangleiqiang at gmail.com
Tue May 6 22:31:43 UTC 2014

Thanks for your further instructions.

I think the situations I mentioned are the reasonable use cases. They are
similar to the "bootable" volume use cases, user can create an empty volume
and install os in it from an image or create bootable volume from instance
([1]).

If volume metadata is not intended to be interpreted by cinder or nova as
meaning anything, maybe Cinder needs to add support for updating some of
glance_image_metadata of volume or introduce new property for volume like
"bootable" ? I don't think these two methods are good either.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/add-bootable-option

> On 6 May 2014 14:46, Trump.Zhang <zhangleiqiang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you mean using volume metadata was not the right way for the first
> > situation I mentioned in ealier mail?
>

> Correct. Volume metadata is entirely for the tenant to use, it is not
> interpreted by cinder or nova as meaning anything.

Best Regards

Trump.Zhang