[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Confusion about the respective use cases for volume's admin_metadata, metadata and glance_image_metadata

Trump.Zhang zhangleiqiang at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:46:17 UTC 2014

@Duncan

Thanks for your reply and help, :)

About "I expect that other than adding filtering on metadata to the API (if
it isn't
already there - I can't remember) that it will stay this way." you
mentioned, I am
sorry that I am not quite understand what you men.

Did you mean using volume metadata was not the right way for the first
situation I mentioned in ealier mail?

> 'metadata' is a free form key-value space for the tenant to use for
> their own purposes - it has no semantic meaning to cinder. I expect
> that other than adding filtering on metadata to the API (if it isn't
> already there - I can't remember) that it will stay this way.
>
> I take your point on the glance metadata. Glance has the concept to
> mutable and immutable metadata, maybe we can do something with that?
> I'll ask somebody who knows more about glance than me and get back to
> you...
>
> On 4 May 2014 10:33, Zhangleiqiang (Trump) <zhangleiqiang at huawei.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi, stackers:
> >
> > I have some confusion about the respective use cases for volume's
> admin_metadata, metadata and glance_image_metadata.
> >
> > I know glance_image_metadata comes from image which is the volume
> created from, and it is immutable. Glance_image_metadata is used for many
> cases, such as billing, ram requirement, etc. And it also includes property
> which can effects the "use-pattern" of volume, such as volumes with
> "hw_scsi_mode=virtio-scsi" will be supposed that there is corresponding
> virtio-scsi driver installed and will be used as a device of "virtio-scsi"
> controller which has higher performance when booting from it with scsi bus
> type.
> >
> > However, volume is constantly having blocks changed, which may result in
> situations as follows:
> >
> > 1. A volume not created from image or created from image without
> "hw_scsi_mode" property at first but then has the virtio-scsi driver
> manually installed, there will be no method to make the volume used with
> virito-scsi controller when booting from it.
> >
> > 2. If a volume was created from an image with "hw_scsi_mode" property at
> first, and then the "virtio-scsi" driver in the instance is uninstalled,
> there will be no method to make the volume not used with "virtio-scsi"
> controller when booting from it.
> >
> > For the first situation, is it suitable to set corresponding metadata to
> volume? Should we use metadata or admin_metadata? I notice that volumes
> will have "attach_mode" and "readonly" admin_metadata and empty metadata
> after created, and I can't find the respective use cases for admin_metada
> and metadata.
> >
> > For the second situation, what is the better way to handle it?
> >
> > Any advice?

> --
> Duncan Thomas

Best Regards