[openstack-dev] [nova][olso] How is the trusted message going on?

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue May 6 03:23:26 UTC 2014

On 05/05/2014 03:29 PM, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:
> Hi, all
> 	The trusted messaging (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+spec/trusted-messaging) has been removed from icehouse, does anyone know how is current status? I noticed a summit session may cover it ( http://junodesignsummit.sched.org/event/9a6b59be11cdeaacfea70fef34328931#.U2gMo_ldWrQ ), but would really appreciate if anyone can provide some information.

There is also an oslo.messaging session that has the trusted messaging
blueprint on the agenda:

http://junodesignsummit.sched.org/event/f3abf1f9d8ce7558a020fcd9ba07d166#.U2hS7jn5Gho

The "key distribution service" mentioned in the blueprint referenced
above has become the Kite project, which is currently working it's way
through implementation under the Barbican program.  I recently wrote up
an overview of how it works here:

  https://blog-nkinder.rhcloud.com/?p=62

I'm hoping to be able to discuss the changes that would be needed to
oslo.messaging to take advantage of Kite (or a different message
security approach like the PKI one mentioned in Adam's design session
proposal) at the Summit.  If we can use a plug-in approach in
oslo.messaging, then different message security mechanisms could be
swapped out relatively easily (in theory).

Thanks,
-NGK