[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Accessibility

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Tue May 6 02:11:10 UTC 2014

Great article Liz!   Verifying contrast ratios is another aspect of
ensuring accessibility.  I've added the link you shared to the
accessibility wiki.

Doug Fish

From:	Liz Blanchard <lsurette at redhat.com>
            <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
Date:	05/05/2014 09:21 AM
Subject:	Re: [openstack-dev] [Horizon] Accessibility

On Apr 24, 2014, at 11:06 AM, Douglas Fish <drfish at us.ibm.com> wrote:

      I've proposed a design session for accessibility for the Juno summit,
      and
      I'd like to get a discussion started on the work that needs to be
      done.
      (Thanks Julie P for pushing that!)

      I've started to add information to the wiki that Joonwon Lee created:
      https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Horizon/WebAccessibility
      I think that's going to be a good place to gather material.  I'd like
      see additional information added about what tools we can use to
      verify
      accessibility.  I'd like to try to summarize the WCAG guidelines into
      some
      broad areas where Horzion needs work.  I expect to add a checklist of
      accessibility-related items to consider while reviewing code.

      Joonwon (or anyone else with an interest in accessibility):  It would
      be
      great if you could re-inspect the icehouse level code and create bugs
      for
      any issues that remain.  I'll do the same for issues that I am aware
      of.
      In each bug we should include a link to the WCAG guideline that has
      been
      violated.  Also, we should describe the testing technique:  How was
      this
      bug discovered?  How could a developer (or reviewer) determine the
      issue
      has actually been fixed?  We should probably put that in each bug at
      first,
      but as we go they should be gathered up into the wiki page.

      There are some broad areas of need that might justify blueprints (I'm
      thinking of WAI-ARIA tagging, and making sure external UI widgets
      that we
      pull in are accessible).

      Any suggestions on how to best share info, or organize bugs and
      blueprints
      are welcome!

Doug,

Thanks very much for bringing this up as a topic and pushing it forward at
Summit. I think this will be a great step forward for Horizon in maturity
as we continue to have better accessibility support. I wanted to throw out
any article that I found helpful when it comes to testing sites for
accessibility for colorblindness:
http://css-tricks.com/accessibility-basics-testing-your-page-for-color-blindness/

I think we can make some very small/easy changes with the color scheme to
be sure there is enough contrast to target all types of colorblindness.

Looking forward to this session,
Liz

      Doug Fish
      IBM STG Cloud Solution Development
      T/L 553-6879, External Phone 507-253-6879