[openstack-dev] [neutron] explanations on the current state of config file handling

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Sat May 3 10:16:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 08:18:18AM -0500, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> > Some non insignificant number of devstack changes related to neutron
> > seem to be neutron plugins having to do all kinds of manipulation of
> > extra config files. The grenade upgrade issue in neutron was because of
> > some placement change on config files. Neutron seems to have *a ton* of
> > config files and is extremely sensitive to their locations/naming, which
> > also seems like it ends up in flux.
> >
> > Is there an overview somewhere to explain this design point?
> >
> > All the other services have a single config config file designation on
> > startup, but neutron services seem to need a bunch of config files
> > correct on the cli to function (see this process list from recent
> > grenade run - http://paste.openstack.org/show/78430/ note you will have
> > to horiz scroll for some of the neutron services).
> >
> > Mostly it would be good to understand this design point, and if it could
> > be evolved back to the OpenStack norm of a single config file for the
> > services.
> >
> I think this is entirely possible. Each plugin has it's own
> configuration, and this is usually done in it's own section. In
> reality, it's not necessary to have more than a single config file, as
> long as the sections in the configuration file are unique.

FWIW, I think this would definitely be useful - to have a Neutron single
config file with unique sections. I frequently try to test two-node
OpenStack setups with Neutron, where I need to keep track of at-least
these config files (correct me if I'm doing something ineffeciently) for
Neutron alone.

Controller node
---------------

  1. /etc/neutron/neutron.conf
  2. /etc/neutron/plugin.ini
  3. /etc/neutron/dhcp_agent.ini
  4. /etc/neutron/l3_agent.ini
      - I notice dhcp_agent and l3_agent configs similar most of the
        time
  5. /etc/neutron/dnsmasq.conf
      - I use this, so that I can log dnsmasq details to a file instead
        of journalctl)
  6. /etc/neutron/metadata_agent.ini
  7. /etc/neutron/api-paste.ini
     - This is auto-generated I believe

Compute node

  1. /etc/neutron/neutron.conf
  2. /etc/neutron/plugin.ini
  3. /etc/neutron/metadata_agent.ini

Not considering iptables/firewalld configs.

--
/kashyap