[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Monitoring as a Service

Gordon Chung chungg at ca.ibm.com
Fri May 2 20:06:50 UTC 2014

> Problem to solve: Ceilometer's purpose is to track and *measure/
> meter* usage information collected from OpenStack components
> (originally for billing). While Ceilometer is usefull for the cloud
> operators and infrastructure metering, it is not a *monitoring*
> solution for the tenants and their services/applications running in
> the cloud because it does not allow for service/application-level
> monitoring and it ignores detailed and precise guest system metrics.

Alexandre, good to see the monitoring topic is alive and well. i have a
few questions and comments...

is the proposed service just a new polling agent, that instead of building
meters, just takes raw polled events and stores them in a database and can
also emit 'alarms'? a lot of the concepts in the blueprint seem to be
inline with Ceilometer's design except with an event/monitoring emphasis
(which Ceilometer also has)

rather than reinvent the wheel, regarding monitoring, have you taken a
look at StackTach[1]? it may cover some of the use cases you have. we're
currently in the process of integrating StachTach's monitoring ability
into Ceilometer. Ceilometer does have the ability to capture tailored
events[2] and there are blueprints to expand that functionality[3][4][5]
(there are more event-related blueprints in Ceilometer). the StackTach
integration process has been admittedly slow so help is always welcomed
there.

whether eventing/monitoring should stay in Ceilometer is another topic but
i'd be interested to see if the event functionality in StackTach and
Ceilometer as well as the alarming capability in Ceilometer can cover the
use cases you have.  if the one thing missing is the ability to poll for
raw events, i would believe that could be incorporated into Ceilometer.

[1] https://github.com/stackforge/stacktach
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/events.html
[3]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/configurable-event-definitions