[openstack-dev] [neutron] explanations on the current state of config file handling

Mark T. Voelker mvoelker at cisco.com
Fri May 2 16:48:22 UTC 2014

+1 for making single config the norm

I think it's not just devstack/grenade that would benefit from this.
Variance in the plugin configuration patterns is a fairly common
complaint I hear from folks deploying OpenStack, and going to a single
config would likely make that easier.  I think it probably benefits
distributions too.  There have been several issues with distro init
scripts not properly supplying all the necessary --config-file
arguments to Neutron services because they're not uniformly pattered.
 Many distros take their cues from the sample config files (e.g.
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/tree/master/etc/ ), so ideally we
could unify things there early in the Juno cycle to give packagers
time to adapt.  The config management tool communities on StackForge
(Puppet/Chef/etc) would likely also benefit from greater uniformity as
well.

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker