[openstack-dev] [neutron] explanations on the current state of config file handling

Kyle Mestery mestery at noironetworks.com
Fri May 2 13:18:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> Some non insignificant number of devstack changes related to neutron
> seem to be neutron plugins having to do all kinds of manipulation of
> extra config files. The grenade upgrade issue in neutron was because of
> some placement change on config files. Neutron seems to have *a ton* of
> config files and is extremely sensitive to their locations/naming, which
> also seems like it ends up in flux.
>
> Is there an overview somewhere to explain this design point?
>
> All the other services have a single config config file designation on
> startup, but neutron services seem to need a bunch of config files
> correct on the cli to function (see this process list from recent
> grenade run - http://paste.openstack.org/show/78430/ note you will have
> to horiz scroll for some of the neutron services).
>
> Mostly it would be good to understand this design point, and if it could
> be evolved back to the OpenStack norm of a single config file for the
> services.

I think this is entirely possible. Each plugin has it's own
configuration, and this is usually done in it's own section. In
reality, it's not necessary to have more than a single config file, as
long as the sections in the configuration file are unique.

I'd like to hear from other Neutron developers on this as well. We
could propose this change for Juno to migrate to a single config file
if everyone agrees.

Thanks,
Kyle