[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Mar 28 20:21:52 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 05:01 AM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:
> On 27 March 2014 20:52, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com
> <mailto:chris.friesen at windriver.com>> wrote:
>
>     It'd be nice to be able to do a heat template where you could
>     specify things like "put these three servers on separate hosts from
>     each other, and these other two servers on separate hosts from each
>     other (but maybe on the same hosts as the first set of servers), and
>     they all have to be on the same network segment because they talk to
>     each other a lot and I want to minimize latency, and they all need
>     access to the same shared instance storage for live migration".
>

> Surely this can be achieved with:
> 1) Configure compute hosts with shared storage and on the same switch
> infrastructure in a host aggregate, with an AZ set in the aggregate
> (setting the AZ gives visibility to the end-user)
> 2) Ensure that both the GroupAntiAffinityFilter and
> AvailabilityZoneFilter are setup on the scheduler
> 3) Boot the instances using the availability zone and group scheduler hints

Last I checked, heat doesn't support creating server groups.  Is it
possible to use GroupAntiAffinityFilter without server groups?

I'm thinking of a setup where you may have multiple shared storage
zones, such that not all compute nodes have access to the same storage
(for performance reasons).

Similarly, in a large environment it's possible that compute nodes don't
all have access to the same network.

Chris