[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Fri Mar 28 19:38:13 UTC 2014

Jay Pipes wrote:
>I'm proposing getting rid of the host aggregate hack (or maybe evolving
>it?) as well as the availability zone concept and replacing them with a
>more flexible generic container object that may be hierarchical in
>nature.

Is the thing you're proposing to replace them with something that already
exists or a brand new thing you're proposing should be created?

We need some sort of construct that allows the tenant to be confident that
they aren't going to lose multiple VMs simultaneously due to a failure of
underlying hardware. The semantics of it need to be easily comprehensible
to the tenant, otherwise you'll get people thinking they're protected because
they built a redundant pair of VMs but sheer bad luck results in them losing
them both at the same time.

We're using availability zone for that currently and it seems to serve the
purpose in a way that's easy to explain to a tenant.