[openstack-dev] QA Program PTL Candidacy

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Mar 28 19:24:31 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 01:29 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> I would like to run for the QA Program PTL position.
>
> I'm currently a core reviewer on the Tempest and elastic-recheck projects and a
> member of the stable maint team. I have been working on Tempest and on improving
> overall OpenStack quality since I started contributing to the project late in
> the Folsom cycle.
>
> One of the coolest things I've seen since I first started working on OpenStack
> is the incredible growth in the tempest community. For example, back during
> Folsom Tempest was a relatively small project that had just recently begun
> gating with very few contributors. Now it is one of the top 5 most active
> OpenStack projects. Which I feel is a testament to the dedication in the
> OpenStack community towards maintaining the quality of the project.
>
> I have worked on some key areas since I started working on OpenStack. The
> biggest of which is probably enabling tempest to run in parallel in the gate
> using testr. This not only improved run time but also helped us shook loose
> additional bugs in all the projects by making parallel request. As a result of
> all the new bugs it shook loose in the gate I helped Joe Gordon get
> elastic-recheck off the ground so that we could track all of the bugs and
> prioritize things.
>
> This past cycle I have mostly been concentrating on adding unit testing for
> Tempest. Additionally I've been working on trying to improve the user experience
> for tempest by working on cleaning up the UX around tempest (config file, run
> scripts, etc.) and working on additionally tooling to make configuring and
> running Tempest simpler.
>
> One of my top priorities for the Juno cycle will be bringing the level of gating
> for all the integrated projects up the same level and trying to have clear
> definitions of what testing should be expected for the projects. Part of this
> will also be working on cleaning up and defining exactly what the test matrix
> should be in the gate to both balance resources and testing coverage.
> Additionally, I think another large push for the Juno cycle should be on the
> accessibility of the QA tooling, whether it be tempest, elastic-recheck, grenade,
> or any of the projects. During Icehouse we saw a large number of new
> contributors to QA projects. However what I've seen is that new contributors
> often don't have a clear place to reference exactly how all the projects work.
> So I think working on making the documentation and tooling around the QA
> projects should also be a priority for Juno.
>
> An opinion that I share with Sean from his PTL candidacy email:
>
> I believe the QA PTL role is mostly one of working across projects, as
> what's most needed to ensure OpenStack quality at any point in time
> may be: more tests, or it may be adjusting the infrastructure to
> address a hole, or it may be debugging an issue with developers in any
> one of our growing number of integrated projects, or clients, or libraries.

> [...]

I think Matt would be an excellent choice for QA PTL, and I'm happy that
he's put his hat in the ring.

I will not be running for QA PTL in this next cycle. I've been QA PTL
for the last 2 cycles, since we created the program, and I feel like we
are strongest as a community when we rotate leadership roles regularly.
I think now is a great time for new eyes on the QA program.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America