[openstack-dev] [Docs] PTL Candidacy

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Mar 28 18:29:38 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I'm writing to announce my candidacy for the Documentation Program
Technical Lead (PTL).

I have been working on OpenStack upstream documentation since September
2010, and am currently serving in this role. I recently summarized the many
community and collaboration methods we use to create and maintain
documentation across the core OpenStack programs. [1] I think these open
source, open documentation methods are what keep OpenStack docs vibrant and
alive.

I can't take credit for all the work that goes on in our community, but
please let me highlight the results the coordinated teams and individuals
have produced:

- The Documentation team has grown and matured in the past release, and we
released simultaneously with the code for the first time with the Havana
release. We are on track to do that again for Icehouse.

- We have a translation toolchain working this year and I'm constantly
amazed at the outpouring of dedication from our translation community.

- Our coordinated documentation tool chains that enable automation and
continuous publication are working seamlessly with the various projects
across OpenStack.

- We're releasing an O'Reilly edition of the OpenStack Operations Guide.

- The API Reference at http://api.openstack.org/api-ref.html got a complete
refresh to provide a responsive web design and to streamline the underlying
CSS and JS code.

- We have been incubating the open source training manuals team within the
OpenStack Documentation program. They've produced an Associate Training
Guide, with outlines and schedules for an Operator Training Guide, a
Developer Training Guide, and an Architect Training Guide.

- While our focus has been on both Guides for operators and installers as
well as API reference documentation, I am interested in working with the
app developer community to build documentation collaboratively that fits
their needs. Everett Toews recently updated the API docs landing page to
take this first step.

I hope you can support my continuing efforts for the wide scope and breadth
of serving the documentation needs in this community.

Thanks,
Anne

[1]
http://justwriteclick.com/2014/03/21/how-to-build-openstack-docs-and-contributors-through-community/