[openstack-dev] Dealing with changes of plans, rejections and other annoyances

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Mar 28 17:23:29 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 06:25 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> Back to my point, when newcomers come into an opensource project with no
> understanding of what opensource means or how to communicate in an
> opensource project, that creates additional learning demand that might
> not have been in evidence previously.

Indeed, your words resonate a lot with what I'm sensing is happening
within OpenStack.

> I wonder if in addition to large numbers of new contributors, there is
> an expectation from new contributors that was not in evidence
> previously. I also wonder if the new contributors are coming to
> openstack with a different understanding of what it means to contribute
> to openstack, compared to new contributors a year ago.

I wonder that too. I've started a journey to understand more the
newcomers dynamics, motivations and improve their journey from the
"outside" to the "inside" circle.

I also want to understand better what points of friction we have
already, inside the existing community. How do we identify, deal with
and resolve conflicts inside such circle.

> I am glad that the newcomers training includes "how to review a patch".
> I wonder if there should be any part that includes how to
> help/support/teach others in the training. If we teach supporting the
> growth of others as an expectation, then the developers can scale
> better, at least that has been my experience.

This is a good suggestion. My expectation is that training people to the
values of collaboration, the processes and tools early on will make them
"good citizens", which in my mind means also "be ready to help others".

The problem of how to scale this Upstream Training program is already
present, not sure yet what the solution will be. Delivering a successful
session in and after Atlanta is still my #1 priority at the moment.

Thanks,
Stef