[openstack-dev] [nova] [bug] "nova server-group-list" doesn't show any members

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Mar 27 21:57:57 UTC 2014

I've filed this as a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1298494)
but I thought I'd post it here as well to make sure it got visibility.

If I create a server group, then boot a server as part of the group,
then run "nova server-group-list" it doesn't show the server as being a
member of the group.

The problem seems to be with the filter passed in to
instance_obj.InstanceList.get_by_filters() in
api.openstack.compute.contrib.server_groups.ServerGroupController._format_server_group().

I traced it down as far as
db.sqlalchemy.api.instance_get_all_by_filters(). Before this line the
query output looks good:

query_prefix = regex_filter(query_prefix, models.Instance, filters)

but after that line there are no instances left in the filter results.

If I change the filter to use

'deleted': False

instead of

'deleted_at': None

then it works as expected.

The leads to a couple of questions:

1) There is a column "deleted_at" in the database table, why can't we
filter on it?
2) How did this get submitted when it doesn't work?

Chris