[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Neutron LBaaS, Libra and "managed services"

Susanne Balle sleipnir012 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:50:47 UTC 2014

Geoff

I noticed the following two blueprints:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/adv-services-in-vms

This blueprint defines a framework for creating, managing and deploying
Neutron advanced services implemented as virtual machines. The goal is to
enable advanced network services (e.g. Load Balancing, Security,
Monitoring) that may be supplied by third party vendors, are deployed as
virtual machines, and are launched and inserted into the tenant network on
demand.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/dynamic-network-resource-mgmt

This blueprint proposes the addition to OpenStack of a framework for
dynamic network resource management (DNRM). This framework includes a new
OpenStack resource management and provisioning service, a refactored scheme
for Neutron API extensions, a policy-based resource allocation system, and
dynamic mapping of resources to plugins. It is intended to address a number
of use cases, including multivendor environments, policy-based resource
scheduling, and virtual appliance provisioning. We are proposing this as a
single blueprint in order to create an efficiently integrated
implementation.

the latter was submitted by you. This sounds like step in the right
direction and I would like to understand the designs/scope/limitation in a
little more details.

What is the status of your blueprint? Any early designs/use cases that you
would be willing to share?

Regards Susanne