[openstack-dev] Add force detach to nova

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 07:39:33 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 03:52 AM, Wanghao (S) wrote:
> Hi, all,
>

> There is a use case: we have two nova components (call them nova A and
> nova B) and one cinder component. Attach a volume to an instance in nova
> A and then services of nova A become abnormal.
>
> Because the volume also want to be used in nova B, so using cinder api
> "force detach volume" to free this volume. But when nova A is normal,
> nova can't detach this volume from instance by using nova api "detach
> volume" ,
>
> as nova check the volume state must be "attached".
>

> I think should we add "force detach" function to nova just like "attach"
> and "detach", because if using force detach volume in cinder, there is
> still some attach information in nova which can't be cleaned by using
> nova api "detach".
>

> There is the BP link
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-force-detach-to-nova

Hi,

Please be aware that we are changing how BPs are done in Juno. You can
see more details in this email thread [1].

Also as mentioned on the bug that started this [2], the reason I think
this needs a BP is because there are edge cases to be discussed and
figured out - not only because we need to follow a process. Addressing
some of the concerns from the bug on the gerrit proposal would be great.

Thanks,

N.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/030576.html