[openstack-dev] (no subject)

Wanghao (S) wanghao749 at huawei.com
Thu Mar 27 02:01:53 UTC 2014

Hi, all,

There is a use case: we have two nova components (call them nova A and nova B) and one cinder component. Attach a volume to an instance in nova A and then services of nova A become abnormal.

Because the volume also want to be used in nova B, so using cinder api "force detach volume" to free this volume. But when nova A is normal, nova can't detach this volume from instance by using nova api "detach volume" ,

as nova check the volume state must be "attached".

I think should we add "force detach" function to nova just like "attach" and "detach", because if using force detach volume in cinder, there is still some attach information in nova which can't be cleaned by using nova api "detach".

There is the BP link :https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-force-detach-to-nova

Any suggestion is great. THX~