[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

Sangeeta Singh singhs at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Mar 26 17:32:20 UTC 2014

From: <Baldassin>, Santiago B <santiago.b.baldassin at intel.com<mailto:santiago.b.baldassin at intel.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

I would say that the requirement is not valid. A host aggregate con only have one availability zone so what you actually can have is a compute node that’s part of 2 host aggregates, which actually have the same availability zone.

It is in our case where we have a superset host aggregate that has all the hosts and then we have subset host aggregates(AZ) based on PDU. Need is that our user can specify the AZ based on the PDU but also in case no AZ is specified we want to load balance from the superset which contains two host-aggregates(AZ).

In the scenario you mentioned below where you create the aggregates without associating the availability zone, after updating the aggregates with the zones, the hosts still share the same availability zone right?

No the host becomes part of two availability zones one for each of the host aggregates.