[openstack-dev] [depfreeze] Exception: limit psutil to <2.0.0

Solly Ross sross at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 17:14:20 UTC 2014

Code which breaks:

Glance's mutliprocessing tests will break (the reason we should limit it now).
For the future, people attempting to use psutil will have no clear version target
(Either they use 1.x and break with the people who install the latest version from pip,
of they use 2.0.0 and break with everything that doesn't use the latest version).

psutil's API is extremely unstable -- it has undergone major revisions going from 0.x to 1.x, and now
1.x to 2.0.0.  Limiting psutil explicitly to a single major version (it was more or less implicitly limited
before, since there was no version major version above 1) ensures that the requirements.txt file actually
indicates what is necessary to use OpenStack.

The alternative option would be to update the glance tests, but my concern is that 2.0.0 is not available
from the package managers of most distros yet.

Best Regards,
Solly Ross