[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Mar 26 14:40:03 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 02:50 PM, Sangeeta Singh wrote:

> What I am  trying to achieve is have two AZ that the user can select
> during the boot but then have a default AZ which has the HV from both
> AZ1 AND AZ2 so that when the user does not specify any AZ in the boot
> command I scatter my VM on both the AZ in a balanced way.

I haven't actually tried it, but it might be worth configuring two
different alternate availability zones each with half of the resources.
  Then if the user doesn't specify a zone they just get the nova zone
which should then balance by load.

My impression was that the support for multiple host aggregates were
intended to support orthogonal groupings of of hosts.  So "hosts with
SSDs" could be one group, and "hosts with 10gig ethernet" another, and
"hosts with lots of RAM" another group, and in that case you could have
hosts that are part of any or all of those groups.

Chris