[openstack-dev] [All][Keystone] Deprecation of the v2 API

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Mar 26 03:41:06 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Dolph Mathews's message of 2014-03-25 19:01:17 -0700:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > We discussed the deprecation of the v2 keystone API in the cross-project
> > meeting today [1].  This thread is to recap and bring that discussion to
> > some consensus.
> >
> > The issue is that Keystone has marked the v2 API as deprecated in Icehouse:
> >
> >     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/deprecate-v2-api
> >
> > If you use the API, deployments will get this in their logs:
> >
> > WARNING keystone.openstack.common.versionutils [-] Deprecated: v2 API is
> > deprecated as of Icehouse in favor of v3 API and may be removed in K.
> >
> > The deprecation status is reflected in the API for end users, as well.
> > For example, from the CLI:
> >
> >   $ keystone discover
> >   Keystone found at http://172.16.12.38:5000/v2.0
> >     - supports version v2.0 (deprecated) here
> > http://172.16.12.38:5000/v2.0/
> >
> > My proposal is that this deprecation be reverted.  Here's why:
> >
> > First, it seems there isn't a common use of "deprecated".  To me,
> > marking something deprecated means that the deprecated feature:
> >
> >  - has been completely replaced by something else
> >

> >  - end users / deployers should take action to migrate to the
> >    new thing immediately.
> >

> >  - The project has provided a documented migration path
>
> >  - the old thing will be removed at a specific date/release
> >

> Agree on all points. Unfortunately, we have yet to succeed on the
> documentation front:
>

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/document-v2-to-v3-transition
>

> > The problem with the above is that most OpenStack projects do not
> > support the v3 API yet.
> >
> > From talking to Dolph in the meeting, it sounds like the intention is:
> >
> >  - fully support v2, just don't add features
> >
> >  - signal to other projects that they should be migrating to v3
> >

> Above all else, this was our primary goal: to raise awareness about our
> path forward, and to identify the non-obvious stakeholders that we needed
> to work with in order to drop support for v2. With today's discussion as
> evidence, I think we've succeeded in that regard :)
>

> > Given that intention, I believe the proper thing to do is to actually
> > leave the API marked as fully supported / stable.  Keystone should be
> > working with other OpenStack projects to migrate them to v3.  Once that
> > is complete, deprecation can be re-visited.
> >

> Happy to!
>
> Revert deprecation of the v2 API: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/82963/
>
> Although I'd prefer to apply this patch directly to milestone-proposed, so
> we can continue into Juno with the deprecation in master.

As somebody maintaining a few master-chasing CD clouds, I'd like to ask
you to please stop the squawking about deprecation until it has a definite
replacement and most if not all OpenStack core projects are using it.

1 out of every 2 API calls on these clouds produces one of these errors
in Keystone. That is just pointless. :-P