[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] [Cinder FFE] Request for HDS FFE

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 06:46:08 UTC 2014

On 21:29 Mon 24 Mar     , Tom Goulding wrote:
> I'd like to request an FFE for Cinder drivers for Hitachi HNAS storage. We showed this driver running in the demo theater at the Hong Kong summit and we've had end-users using it since January.
>
> The driver was initially submitted on Feb 18, 2014 some 45 days ago with regular work since then to address all review comments (a total of 8 revisions).  The only real functional change that has occurred since Hong Kong was making CHAP protocol support optional. (The blueprint for this driver was submitted back on Aug. 29, 2013.) We've been working through the new Cinder requirements for certification testing which slowed things down as has obtaining a stable devstack environment.  Early documentation on the new certification tests was not clear and has since been improved.
>
> We are convinced that the driver poses no risk to the stability and quality of the Icehouse release, so given that it's in the community's best interest to encourage a broad ecosystem of device support, and that we've been working in good faith to get this driver through the process, please help us get this into Icehouse.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for submitting your driver. Unfortunately I would have to give a -1 for
an exception to be made for a new driver this late in the release.

I'm sorry that there were problems with getting the cert tests working.
However, on March 13th [1], your cert test did reveal that it was not passing
for ISCSI and NFS [2][3], which would've gone out with the release. I think you
would agree it's far more important to make sure things actually work than
making a release.

There were other issues with the unit tests not using mock and other standards
that Cinder reviewers hold to every review, that this late in the release just
didn't make the time frame doable.

Regardless of risk to Cinder core, this is a time that contributors should be
spending on getting targeted core issues stable and focusing review time on
those issues. I would encourage you to propose a review for the Juno
release.

[1] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/74371/
[2] - https://gist.github.com/sombrafam/9493308
[3] - https://gist.github.com/sombrafam/9416255