[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Error while running tox -v -epy27 tests.unit.ml2

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:11:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Chris Jones <cjones at siaras.com> wrote:

> Hello;
>
> I was talking with some people on the openstack-neutron IRC channel, and was
> trying to get assistance to root cause why the ml2 unit tests are failing.
> I have cloned a fresh neutron tree that I have pegged back to hash: b78eea6
>
> I am attempting to run the following on an vagrant Ubuntu 12.04 VM running
> in virtual box on a Mac.
> The neutron code resides on my Mac with a mount point in the VM so I can
> access the code from there.
> I am using tox version: 1.6.1 as the latest version didn't seem to work and
> this was recommended by one of the users on IRC.
>
> Here is the command I'm running with the output below:
>
> tox -v -epy27 tests.unit.ml2
>
> Non-zero exit code (2) from test listing.
> stdout='\xb3)\x01 at o@dneutron.tests.functional.agent.linux.test_async_process.TestAsyncProcess.test_async_process_respawns8\x10\x05\x8e\xb3)\x01 at y@nneutron.tests.functional.agent.linux.test_async_process
> (COPIOUS output omitted for brevity)
> error: testr failed (3)
> ERROR: InvocationError:
> '/Users/cjones/dev/siaras/stack/vagrant/project/openstack/n3/.tox/py27/bin/python
> -m neutron.openstack.common.lockutils python setup.py testr --slowest
> --testr-args=tests.unit.ml2'
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> summary
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> ERROR:   py27: commands failed
>
> If I take the mount point out of the equation, I don't get this copious
> output, but fail with the following:
>
> Killed
> FAIL: process-returncode
> tags: worker-3
> Binary content:
>   traceback (test/plain; charset="utf8")
>

> Ran 920 (+473) tests in 296.233s (+190.902s)
> FAILED (id=2, failures=2)
> error: testr failed (1)
> ERROR: InvocationError: '/home/vagrant/neutron/.tox/py27/bin/python -m
> neutron.openstack.common.lockutils python setup.py testr --slowest
> --testr-args=tests.unit.ml2'
>

> If anyone can provide me with some assistance on why this would be erring
> out or how to debug and root cause this, it would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

The first step of running tests with testr is listing all of the tests
using 'discover'. That listing is failing probably due to an import
error but the actual error was in that copious output... If you grep
through it for import you should find it. Then you will need to figure
out why that module could not be imported.

It should be noted that the error message is much clearer using the
latest revision in the testrepository repo but testrepository has not
been released with the fix in it yet. I think lifeless is trying to
move to git before that happens.

Clark