[openstack-dev] Spec repos for blueprint development and review

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Mar 24 18:23:02 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 02:05 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> On 03/24/2014 12:34 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> So recently we started this experiment with the compute and qa programs
>>> to try using Gerrit to review blueprints.  Launchpad is deficient in
>>> this area, and while we hope Storyboard will deal with it much better,
>>> but it's not ready yet.
>>
>> This seems to be a point of confusion.  My view is that Storyboard isn't
>> intended to implement what gerrit provides.  Given that, it seems like
>> we'd still be using this whether the tracker is launchpad or storyboard.
>
> I don't think it's intended to implement what Gerrit provides, however,
> I'm not sure what Gerrit provides is _exactly_ what's needed here.  I do
> agree that Gerrit is a much better tool than launchpad for collaborating
> on some kinds of blueprints.
>
> However, one of the reasons we're creating StoryBoard is so that we have
> a tool that is compatible with our workflow and meets our requirements.
> It's not just about tracking work items, it should be a tool for
> creating, evaluating, and progressing changes to projects (stories),
> across all stages.
>
> I don't envision the end-state for storyboard to be that we end up
> copying data back and forth between it and Gerrit.  Since we're
> designing a system from scratch, we might as well design it to do what
> we want.
>
> One of our early decisions was to say that UX and code stories have
> equally important use cases in StoryBoard.  Collaboration around UX
> style blueprints (especially those with graphical mock-ups) sets a
> fairly high bar for the kind of interaction we will support.
>
> Gerrit is a great tool for reviewing code and other text media.  But
> somehow it is even worse than launchpad for collaborating when visual
> media are involved.  Quite a number of blueprints could benefit from
> better support for that (not just UI mockups but network diagrams, etc).
> We can learn a lot from the experiment of using Gerrit for blueprint
> review, and I think it's going to help make StoryBoard a lot better for
> all of our use cases.

I think that's fine if long term this whole thing is optimized. I just
do very much worry that StoryBoard keeps going under progressive scope
creep before we've managed to ship the base case. That's a dangerous
situation to be in, as it means it's evolving without a feedback loop.

I'd much rather see Storyboard get us off launchpad ASAP across all the
projects, and then work on solving the things launchpad doesn't do.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America