[openstack-dev] auto-delete in amqp "reply_*" queues in OpenStack

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 24 15:52:48 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 02:59 AM, Dmitry Mescheryakov wrote:
> Chris,
>
> In oslo.messaging a single reply queue is used to gather results from
> all the calls. It is created lazily on the first call and is used
> until the process is killed. I did a quick look at oslo.rpc from
> oslo-incubator and it seems like it uses the same pattern, which is
> not surprising since oslo.messaging descends from oslo.rpc. So if you
> restart some process which does rpc calls (nova-api, I guess), you
> should see one reply queue gone and another one created instead after
> some time.

Okay, that makes a certain amount of sense.

How does it work for queues used by both the controller and the compute
node?

If I do a controlled switchover from one controller to another (killing
and restarting rabbit, nova-api, nova-conductor, nova-scheduler,
neutron, cinder, etc.) I see that the number of reply queues drops from
28 down to 5, but those 5 are all ones that existed before.

I assume that those 5 queues are (re)created by the services running on
the compute nodes, but if that's the case then how would the services
running on the controller node find out about the names of the queues?

Chris