[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Kyle Mestery mestery at noironetworks.com
Fri Mar 21 19:49:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/21/2014 03:16 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> >
> > I am a strong advocate of the Blueprint-on-Blueprints process we
> discussed in the operator mini-summit so that experienced cloud
> administrators can give input before lots of code is written (
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/operators-feedback-mar14) but we need to
> be aware that these people with real life experience of the impact of
> changes on production clouds may not be working with gerrit day-to-day.
>
> I certainly understand that folks may not be in gerrit day-to-day.  I
> imagine even fewer are in launchpad day-to-day.  :-)
>
> > There has been some excellent work by the documentation team in the past
> year to make it easy for new contributors to work on improvements to the
> documentation which also helps to introduce the tools/processes to the
> novices.
>
> Do you have any pointers to docs stuff you mentioned that we might be
> able to build on?
>
> > Can we find a way to keep the bar low for the review of blueprints while
> at the same time making sure we engage the full community spectrum in the
> future direction of OpenStack ?
>
> I think we can confidently say that the change to use gerrit for the
> review design specs lowers the bar for participation by everyone
> interested.  It's an actual review system, where before we had no system
> for organizing feedback and iterating on specs.  That's really the key.
>
> Once we have some active reviews going, it will be a bit easier to
> provide clear examples of what the reviews will look like.  We can use
> that to help show how to get involved and provide feedback.
>
> This is the part I'm keenly interested in Russell. Once you have some
feedback on things here,
this model of using gerrit for review is something I'd like to see other
projects use going forward
as well. I think each project has it's own system for blueprint review and
approval, but if we can
leverage the work you're doing in nova with other projects to keep them as
consistent as possible,
all the better.

Thanks,
Kyle