[openstack-dev] [TripleO] test environment requirements

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 15:55:32 UTC 2014

On 13/03/14 09:51, Robert Collins wrote:
> So we already have pretty high requirements - its basically a 16G
> workstation as minimum.
>
> Specifically to test the full story:
>  - a seed VM
>  - an undercloud VM (bm deploy infra)
>  - 1 overcloud control VM
>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
> ====
>    5 VMs with 2+G RAM each.
>
> To test the overcloud alone against the seed we save 1 VM, to skip the
> overcloud we save 3.
>
> However, as HA matures we're about to add 4 more VMs: we need a HA
> control plane for both the under and overclouds:
>  - a seed VM
>  - 3 undercloud VMs (HA bm deploy infra)
>  - 3 overcloud control VMs (HA)
>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
> ====
>    9 VMs with 2+G RAM each == 18GB
>
> What should we do about this?
>
> A few thoughts to kick start discussion:
>  - use Ironic to test across multiple machines (involves tunnelling
> brbm across machines, fairly easy)
>  - shrink the VM sizes (causes thrashing)
>  - tell folk to toughen up and get bigger machines (ahahahahaha, no)
>  - make the default configuration inline the hypervisors on the
> overcloud with the control plane:
>    - a seed VM
>    - 3 undercloud VMs (HA bm deploy infra)
>    - 3 overcloud all-in-one VMs (HA)
>   ====
>      7 VMs with 2+G RAM each == 14GB
>

> I think its important that we exercise features like HA and live
> migration regularly by developers, so I'm quite keen to have a fairly
> solid systematic answer that will let us catch things like bad
> firewall rules on the control node preventing network tunnelling
> etc... e.g. we benefit the more things are split out like scale
> deployments are. OTOH testing the micro-cloud that folk may start with
> is also a really good idea....

I'd vote for an optional (non default) inline cloud setup like what you
mention above, and maybe a non HA setup aswell. This would allow a lower
entry bar to people who only want to worry about a specific component.
We then would need to cover all supported setups in CI (adding to
capacity needs). and of course we then wouldn't have everybody
exercising HA but it may be necessary to encourage uptake.