[openstack-dev] [Neutron] OVS 2.1.0 is available but not the Neutron ARP responder

Mathieu Rohon mathieu.rohon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 10:31:33 UTC 2014

Hi edouard,

thanks for the information. I would love to see your patch getting
merged to have l2-population MD fully functional with an OVS based
deployment. Moreover, this patch has a minimal impact on neutron,
since the code is used only if l2-population MD is used in the ML2
plugin.

markmcclain was concerned that no functional testing is done, but
L2-population MD needs mutlinode deployment to be tested. A deployment
based on a single VM won't create overlay tunnels, which is a
mandatory technology to have l2-population activated.
The Opensatck-CI is not able, for the moment, to run job based on
multi-node deployment. We proposed an evolution of devstack to have a
multinode deployment based on a single VM which launch compute nodes
in LXC containers [1], but this evolution has been refused by
Opensatck-CI since there is other ways to run multinode setup with
devstack, and LXC container is not compatible with iscsi and probably
ovs [2][3].

One way to have functional test for this feature would be to deploy
3rd party testing environment, but it would be a pity to have to
maintain a 3rd party to test some functionalities which are not based
on 3rd party equipments. So we are currently learning about the
Openstack-CI tools to propose some evolutions to have mutinode setup
inside the gate [4]. There are a lot of way to implement it
(node-pools evolution, usage of tripleO, of Heat [5]), and we don't
know which one would be the easiest, and so the one we have to work on
to have the multinode feature available ASAP.

This feature looks very important for Neutron, at least to test
overlay tunneling. I thinks it's very important for nova too, to test
live-migration.

[1]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/devstack/+spec/lxc-computes
[2]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxc/+bug/1226855
[3]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2014/infra.2014-02-18-19.01.log.html