[openstack-dev] [nova] instances stuck with task_state of REBOOTING

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Mar 20 18:29:50 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 12:06 PM, Solly Ross wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Are you in the position to determine whether or not this happens with the latest master code?
> Either way, it definitely looks like a bug.

Unfortunately not right now, working towards a deadline.

> If you could give more specific reproduction instructions, that would be most useful.

If I could give more specific reproduction instructions, I could track
it down and fix it.  :)   I do know that they were soft-rebooting
instances and rebooting the controllers at around the same time.

The fact that there are no success or error logs in nova-compute.log
makes me wonder if we somehow got stuck in self.driver.reboot().

Also, I'm kind of wondering what would happen if nova-compute was
running reboot_instance() and we rebooted the controller at the same
time.  reboot_instance() could time out trying to update the instance
with the the new power state and a task_state of None.  Later on in
_sync_power_states() we would update the power_state, but nothing would
update the task_state.  I don't think this is what happened to us though
since I'd expect to see logs of the timeout.

Chris