[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 15:49:37 UTC 2014

We recently discussed the idea of using gerrit to review blueprint
specifications [1].  There was a lot of support for the idea so we have
proceeded with putting this together before the start of the Juno
development cycle.

We now have a new project set up, openstack/nova-specs.  You submit
changes to it just like any other project in gerrit.  Find the README
and a template for specifications here:

  http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova-specs/tree/README.rst

  http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova-specs/tree/template.rst

The blueprint process wiki page has also been updated to reflect that we
will be using this for Nova:

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprints#Nova

Note that *all* Juno blueprints, including ones that were previously
approved, must go through this new process.  This will help ensure that
blueprints previously approved still make sense, as well as ensure that
all Juno specs follow a more complete and consistent format.

Before the flood of spec reviews start, we would really like to get
feedback on the content of the spec template.  It includes things like
"deployer impact" which could use more input.  Feel free to provide
feedback on list, or just suggest updates via proposed changes in gerrit.

I suspect this process to evolve a bit throughout Juno, but I'm very
excited about the positive impact it is likely to have on our overall
result.

Thanks!

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/029232.html