[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][QA][Tempest][Infra] Ceilometer tempest testing in gate

Nadya Privalova nprivalova at mirantis.com
Thu Mar 20 09:49:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,
First of all, thanks for your suggestions!

To summarize the discussions here:
1. We are not going to install Mongo (because "is's wrong" ?)
2. Idea about spawning several collectors is suspicious (btw there is a
patch that run several collectors: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/79962/.)

Let's try to get back to original problem. All these solutions were
suggested to solve the problem of high load on Ceilometer. AFAIK, Tempest's
goal is to test projects` interactions, not performance testing. The
perfect tempest's behaviour would be "start ceilometer only for Ceilometer
tests". From one hand it will allow not to load db during other tests, from
the other hand "projects` interactions" will be tested because during
Ceilometer test we create volums, images and instances. But I'm afraid that
this scenario is not possible technically.
There is one more idea. Make Ceilometer able to monitor not all messages
but filtered set of messages. But anyway this is a new feature and cannot
be added right now.

Tempest guys, if you have any thoughts about first suggestion "start
ceilometer only for Ceilometer tests" please share.

Thanks,
Nadya