[openstack-dev] [Nova][Heat] How to reliably detect VM failures?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Mar 20 03:16:30 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 08:38 PM, Qiming Teng wrote:

> I don't think it a good idea to rely on some external monitoring systems
> to do a VM failure detection. It means additional steps to set up,
> additional software to upgrade, additional chapter in the Operator's
> Guide, etc.  We are evaluating whether Ceilometer can do a good job
> here.

I think there is a case to be made for having both basic built-in health
checks as well as a more targeted heath check that is specific to the
intended purpose of the device.

Maybe it would make sense to have a way for an external purpose-specific
health monitor to tell heat that something is wrong with a particular
resource.

Chris