[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Alternating meeting time for more TZ friendliness

James Polley jp at jamezpolley.com
Wed Mar 19 21:25:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM, James Polley <jp at jamezpolley.com> wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2014, at 5:44 am, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> Excerpts from Sullivan, Jon Paul's message of 2014-03-19 09:26:44 -0700:

Ah. So that's what happened to the email I was composing on my iPhone - it
got sent! Next time I'll ask my pocket to delete it rather than send it.

As I was trying to say, I think our priority should be maximizing the
number of people who can attend, not maximizing for me attending. I worry
that having alternating meetings will lead to having non-overlapping sets
of people in the meetings, but even if that happens I'm not sure if it's
worse than only having a subset of people in the meeting.

I'd be happy to stick with 1900UTC if it means more people can regularly
make the meeting, even if it means I can't make it all the time. Switching
to alternating 1900 Tuesday and 2100 Wednesday would mean I could make more
meetings, but I don't know how it would affect other people.

Speaking for myself, I find the current time is slightly painful, but
> doable. 0500 will be more painful.
>
> If I'm reading the iCal feed linked from
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings correctly, it looks like there's
> a PCI passthrough meeting scheduled at that time in -alt. Is that correct?
> Is the iCal feed canonical? I don't see the meeting listed on the page, but
> maybe that's also because of the tiny little screen I'm using right now.
>
> If I'm doing the timezone math right, it looks like the iCal feed says
> that 2100UTC Wednesday is free every second week. Once all the DST flips
> happen, that'll be 2100 London, 1500 SF, 0700 Sydney.

Bad time math - I was in the middle of updating this when my phone decided
to send the mail. 2100UTC will be 2200 London, 1400 SF, 0700 Sydney.