[openstack-dev] WSGI and Python paste

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Mar 19 16:40:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 14:25 +0100, victor stinner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > According to the following table, paste is blocking many OpenStack
> servers to be ported to Python 3:
> >
> >    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Core_OpenStack_projects
> >
> > The author of paste, Ian Bicking, gave me the commit permission to
> paste. I integrated patches from Debian and my colleague Cyril Roelandt,
> and I added even more patches. All these changes are just for the Python 3
> syntax (import, except as, print, etc.). It looks like paste doesn't know
> anything about Python 3 and WSGI 1.0.1 (PEP 3333):
> >
> >     http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3333/
> >
> > A function handling a web page must return bytes (b'data' in Python 3),
> whereas nativate string can be used in Python 2. It looks like paste is old
> (last release was 4 years ago, version 1.7.5.1 in 2010). Even the author of
> paste suggest to use something else like WebOb:
> >
> >    "Paste has been under development for a while, and has lots of code
> in it. Too much code! The code is largely decoupled except for some core
> functions shared by many parts of the code. Those core functions are
> largely replaced in WebOb, and replaced with better implementations."
> >
> >    http://pythonpaste.org/future.html#introduction
> >
> > What is the plan for OpenStack? Should we use something else?
>
> AFAIK, we only use paste.deploy, and we use WebOb already (even though
> it has a host of issues itself...)
>
> Best,
> -jay

As part of one of the Python 3 discussions at either the folsom or grizzly
summits we discussed dropping paste.deploy as a *required* part of
deploying OpenStack. In addition to the lack of Python 3 support, it was
pointed out that the paste file is a "code-like" file that deployers may
need to modify as a configuration file to set up the right pipelines, but
that we should be standardizing those (especially in light of the ongoing
DefCore and "designated sections" discussion).

If we're moving to a web framework that supports python 3, and that doesn't
*need* paste.deploy, then we can drop it as a blocking dependency for
porting. Deployers who want to do things like add a middleware around an
OpenStack API endpoint will still be able to either use a paste-like
replacement tool, or do the wrapping directly in the WSGI configuration
file they use to tie the OpenStack service to the web server.

Doug