[openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 12:13:27 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 07:49 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> On 19/03/14 10:17 +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> My desires around Marconi are: - to make sure the queue we have
>>> is suitable for use by OpenStack itself: we have a very strong
>>> culture around consolidating technology choices, and it would
>>> be extremely odd to have Marconi be something that isn't
>>> suitable to replace rabbitmq etc as the queue abstraction in
>>> the fullness of time.
>>
>> Although this could be done in the future, I've heard from many
>> folks in the community that replacing OpenStack's rabbitmq / qpid
>> / etc layer with Marconi is a no-go. I don't recall the exact
>> reasons now but I think I can grab them from logs or something
>> (Unless those folks are reading this email and want to chime in).
>> FWIW, I'd be more than happy to *experiment* with this in the
>> future. Marconi is definitely not ready as-is.
>
> That's the root of this thread. Marconi is not really designed to
> cover Robert's use case, which would be to be consumed internally
> by OpenStack as a message queue.
>
> I classify Marconi as an "application building block" (IaaS+), a
> convenient, SQS-like way for cloud application builders to pass
> data around without having to spin up their own message queue in a
> VM. I think that's a relevant use case, as long as performance is
> not an order of magnitude worse than the "spin up your own in a VM"
> alternative. Personally I don't consider "serving the internal
> needs of OpenStack" as a feature blocker. It would be nice if it
> could, but the IaaS+ use case is IMHO compelling enough.

This is my view, as well.  I never considered replacing OpenStack's
current use of messaging within the scope of Marconi.

It's possible we could have yet another project that is a queue
provisioning project in the style of Trove.  I'm not sure that
actually makes sense (an application template you can deploy may
suffice here).  In any case, I view OpenStack's use case and anyone
wanting to use qpid/rabbit/whatever directly separate and out of scope
of Marconi.

--
Russell Bryant