[openstack-dev] [Solum][Oslo] Next Release of oslo.messaging?

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Mar 18 12:51:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Angus Salkeld
<angus.salkeld at rackspace.com>wrote:

> On 18/03/14 07:39 +0530, Noorul Islam Kamal Malmiyoda wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 4:59 AM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Doug Hellmann and Victror Stinner (+ oslo cores),
>>>
>>> Solum currently depends on a py33 gate. We want to use oslo.messaging,
>>> but are worried that in the current state, we will be stuck without py33
>>> support. We hope that by adding the Trollius code[1], and getting a new
>>> release number, that we can add the oslo.messaging library to our
>>> requirements and proceed with our async messaging plan.
>>>
>>> I am seeking guidance from you on when the above might happen. If it's a
>>> short time, we may just wait for it. If it's a long time, we may need to
>>> relax our py33 gate to non-voting in order to prevent breakage of our
>>> Stackforge CI while we work with the oslo.messaging code. We are also
>>> considering doing an ugly workaround of creating a bunch of worker
>>> processes on the same messaging topic until we can clear this concern.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> I think we should not make python33 gate non-voting as we will miss
>> out issues related others. We can toggle the oslo.messaging related
>> tests to not run in python33.
>>

> Even if we disable our tests, we can't even add oslo.messaging to
> our requirements.txt as it can't even be installed.

Actually, Julien recently added support to pbr for separate requirements
files for python 3 (requirements-py3.txt and test-requirements-py3.txt). If
the python 3 file exists, the default file is not used at all, so it is
possible to list completely different requirements for python 2 and 3.

Doug