[openstack-dev] Automatic version creation in PBR

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Mar 18 08:25:38 UTC 2014

Robert Collins wrote:
> If you set 'version' in setup.cfg, pbr's behaviour will not change at all.
>
> If you do not set 'version' in setup.cfg then:
>  - for tagged commits, pbr's behaviour will not change at all.
>  - for untagged commits, pbr will change from
> '$last_tag_version.$commit_count.g$sha' to
> '$next_highest_pre_release.dev$commit_count.g$sha'

That sounds sane to me. IIUC it shouldn't impact the release team. The
version number ends up being quite ugly, but in that precise case
prettiness is not a primary goal.

It may impact packagers in some corner cases so I'd engage with them to
check (#openstack-packaging ?) *and*, like Doug recommends, wait for
after icehouse release to make the change.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)